1. Curtains & DrapesUnfortunately, we don't mean the dusting part. You'll want to dust at least once a month, but when it actually comes time to getting them cleaned, you only really need to do that once a year. You can take them in to get dry cleaned or follow the instructions on their tags if you choose to wash them at home.
2. House GuttersGutter guards can be a great investment, especially if you live around trees that shed all year long. These can keep your gutter cleanings minimal, generally about once per year. You'll want to do this in the autumn when all of the leaves from the trees have already fallen.
3. Fireplace & ChimneyAfter the winter, you'll want to give your fireplace a thorough cleaning. You can use a shop vacuum to clean up the embers. Make sure to wash down the fireplace tools as well. Go an extra step further and schedule an appointment with a chimney sweeper.
4. CarpetsWe wish we meant vacuuming, but that's pretty much a weekly or biweekly task for most households. In this case, we mean a deep clean. The best time to get this taken care of is right after summer.
5. Outdoor FurnitureThe best time to clean outdoor furniture is when you bring them out of storage for Spring. Of course, if messes happen while you're using them, you want to clean the spots right away, so you avoid an accumulation of stains in a short period.
6. MattressMattresses have improved through the years but they still need a little bit of attention. At least once a year, give your mattress a thorough cleaning and change the position of it.
7. Kitchen Cabinets & PantryEarly November is a great time to clean out kitchen cabinets, drawers, and the food pantry to get them ready for the holidays. Do a section of cabinets at a time and empty them out completely. Wipe down the shelves and reline with shelf paper if needed.
8. Linen ClosetJust once a year, empty out your linen closet and give it a thorough cleaning. Take time to vacuum away dust and spiderwebs and reline any shelves.
9. Garage, Basement, & AtticNo one is expecting you to have a perfect garage, basement, or attic. However, a good cleaning at least once a year can help you keep an eye on things, such as moisture or insect problems. It can also feel good to get rid of junk that tends to accumulate in these hidden spaces.
If you're in the market to sell your home, you can always give us a call, and we will refer some preferred vendors that can help you knock out your cleaning tasks.